• Performs database tasks (installation, setup/configuration, patch installation, user/object creation, testing / capacity monitoring ) for existing systems.
• Defines, performs and assures database backups and recovery procedures are in place.
• Coordinates regularly with members of other support teams for database related issues and concerns
• Provides 24/7 database support (handling incidents, migration, db tuning and maintenance, including on-call , onsite support when needed.
• Addresses database non-compliance and escalates issues as needed to the application/system owner (vendor, developers, etc) and Cluster head
• Performs database analysis and optimization (SQL tuning, adjusting database parameters, schema design)
• Communicates needed changes to the Cluster Head and application owners.
• Proactively monitors database for optimum performance.
• Works closely with Systems Administrators to monitor both software and hardware so that it functions optimally with the RDBMS
• Performs database migration and upgrade of production servers; provides onsite support during these activities
• Complies with all operational standards and other requirements
• Reviews and prepares system documentation (database profiles, PPMs)
• Participates actively through discussion during a turnover of systems from projects to production
• Proactively monitors production databases (including capacity issues) and addresses/ escalates potential problems/ issues
• Executes production related service requests within agreed SLA
• Addresses and resolves assigned incident in a timely fashion
• Determines root cause and documents resolutions
• Provides end-to-end communication and closure of incident statuses to immediate supervisor and all concerned
• Provides inputs to Cluster head on standards and processes to assure that all production systems runs optimally
24/7 with no or limited incidents.
• Provides weekly feedback of all production activities and incidents statuses to the Cluster head
• Bachelor’s degree in related technical discipline
• 5+ years’ experience as a Database Administrator
• Strong grasp of fundamental relational database concepts
• Knowledge on setup, configuration and management of different databases (Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL)
• Knowledge on setup and maintenance of clustered / replicated databases (Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL)
• Knowledge of advanced UNIX administration commands